How do I qualify for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships?
You qualify when you finish within the top 25% of your age group in one qualifier event of your choice. The age groups are: 19-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64 and 65+ for both males and females. There will also be an additional age group above 70 or even 75+ with an official world title if more than 6 riders register to create an additional age group. If you qualify, you’ll receive an invitational email from the UCI inviting you to register for the World Championships. In races with only a road race, you can qualify for both the time trial and the road race World Championships. In races with both a time trial and road race event, you will have to qualify in both disciplines separately. If you think you qualified but didn't receive an invitational email, you can contact the UCI directly at email@example.com
I'm having my birthday in between the qualifier event and the World Championships. In what age group do I need to start?
All riders have to start in the age group of the age they will be by the 31st December 2017.
What license do I require to ride in the UCI Gran Fondo World Championship in Albi?
All riders need a (national) license from a UCI affiliated cycling federation. You can find the list on http://www.uci.ch/inside-uci/organisation/national-feds/#!EU Accepted licenses are: masters, cycling for all, amateurs and elite license with exception of:
- Any rider who has during the current year been a member of a team registered with the UCI.
- Any rider who has taken part in a World Championships, the Olympic games, continental championships or games, regional games, the Commonwealth games, or a World Cup during the current year, other than events for masters.
- Any rider who has UCI points in any discipline at the moment of the event.
MEDICAL CERTIFICATE: For certain racing licenses which have been obtained without a medical exam, you also need to provide an additional medical certificate to take part in a French event. This is for sure the case for all licenses issued by British Cycling ans some other national federations...
Is the national jersey mandatory? My country doesn’t sell an official jersey...
It’s not mandatory to wear the “official” national cycling kit of your country for the World Championships however it is strongly recommended. The National Federation of your country will be able to provide you with details on how to obtain your countries’ official kit.
I qualified for the Time Trial but not for the Road Race. Can I register for both?
No, in UCI Gran Fondo World Series events with both a Time Trial and a Road Race, you have to qualify in both disciplines separately in order to get the ticket for that specific discipline. However, in events with only a Road Race, the qualified riders from these events can register for the Time Trial and the Road Race.
Are there wildcards?
Yes, we do have 4 different types of wildcards:
- Defending World Champions qualify automatically.
- All qualifier events get five wildcards per discipline that they can use for riders who would normally have qualified but didn't make it due to circumstances (crash, mechanical problems, etc...). It’s the organizers choice to distribute them.
- All countries not hosting a qualifier event get ten wildcards (five males / five females) for their best riders. It’s the national federation who distribute these wildcards
- All countries can send their National Champions (road/time trial) without qualification for the discipline in which they are National Champion.
I just missed qualification by a few places. When is the recall of the tickets made so I can eventually still participate, replacing the riders who announced not to attend?
All qualified riders who didn't register yet will get a reminder email by mid-June. Their spots become available on the Mid July 2017. Events past this date will get a recall soon after the first invitational emails. UCI will not make a recall for certain age groups if the number of registered riders will go over a certain limit for safety reasons.
I have won UCI points in 2017 in track/mountainbike/cyclocross... Can I participate in the World Championships?
No, all riders who have UCI points at the moment of the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships in whatever discipline cannot take part in the World Championships.
When is the deadline for registering?
Registration for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships closes midnight Sunday 20th August 2017.
It's not possible to register on-the-spot for either of these events.
Is there doping control at the World Championships?
Yes, there is always control for both Time Trial and Road Races. There will also be out-of-competition controls in the weeks and months before.
Are bikes checked before the start of the Time Trial?
All bikes have to comply with the UCI regulations on bike measurements. There will be a bike check before the start of the Time Trial for all riders. Brief summary of the bike regulations:
- The minimum weight of the bike shall be 6.8 kilograms (without bottles).
- The peak of the saddle shall be a minimum of 5 cm to the rear of a vertical plane passing through the bottom bracket spindle. For morphological reasons, the rider may request to place the peak of his saddle up to 0cm from the bottom bracket axle.
- For time trials, a fixed extension may be added to the steering system; in this instance, the height difference between the elbow support points and the highest and lowest points of the handlebar extension (including gear levers in the most vertical position) must be less than 10 cm.
- The distance between the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket axle and the extremity of the handlebar may not exceed 75 cm. For morphological reasons, the rider may request to place the extensions up to 80cm from the bottom bracket axle. In any case, the rider must choose between positioning the saddle to 0cm, or place the extensions up to 80cm, because only one morphological exception is granted.
- For a rider who is 190cm tall or taller, it is possible to place the extensions up to 85cm. In that case, it is necessary to present itself to the Commissaires’ Panel sufficiently in advance before the start of the race, in order that the commissaires proceed to a verification of the size of the rider.
- The plane passing through the highest points at the front and rear of the saddle shall be horizontal. The length of the saddle shall be 24 cm minimum and 30 cm maximum.
I have registered but cannot participate anymore. Is a refund of my registration fee possible?
Refunds will only be issued to riders when they submit a medical certificate.